Skip to content

Sponsoring Departments

The Office of International Services oversees the process to come to GSU as a J-1 scholar or professor.
The U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Program is designed to promote international academic, scientific, and cultural exchange in order to develop mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries. This program is utilized to bring Exchange Visitors to the U.S. on a temporary basis to engage in exchange activities in various “categories.” Exchange visitor categories at Governors State University include: Research Scholar, Professor, or Student Intern. The nature and scope of the Exchange Visitor’s visit to the U.S. will guide our office in determining the most suitable category for each visitor. The Exchange Visitor program should not be used as a general means of employment, though the source of funding may be from a U.S. sponsor, including Governors State University.
All sponsoring departments that wish to invite a visiting J-1 scholar or professor to Governors State University must submit a Sponsorship Request. Please consider the following statements before proceeding with this request. If it is possible that any of these statements apply to the Exchange Visitor, this request may not be the appropriate request to submit.
  • The potential Exchange Visitor is currently enrolled and pursuing a degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside of the U.S.
  • The potential Exchange Visitor intends to return home and graduate from their postsecondary academic program.
  • The proposed activities/research fulfills the educational objectives for his or her foreign program.
If any of these statements apply, the Exchange Visitor may be best suited for the “J-1 Student Intern” category. You may contact OIS if you have questions about the Student Intern category and process.